Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.
Deputy Chief of Party- Uganda Family Planning
Pathfinder is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) to provide overall strategic leadership and oversight for the upcoming. USAID-funded Family Planning Flagship Activity program in Uganda. The project aims to increase adoption of healthy FP/RH behaviors which will contribute to long term demographic shifts and thus accelerate Uganda’s progress towards its overall development goals. To achieve this, it will focus on improving leadership and coordination, address deeply rooted social and cultural practices, and strengthen provision of comprehensive FP services
The DCOP will provide leadership across project technical areas and will oversee technical assistance activities at all levels reporting to and working closely with the Chief of Party (COP) to develop, manage, and support project activities. The DCOP will support the Chief of Party (COP) in providing technical program leadership in the development, management and support of project activities. In the absence of the COP the DCOP will assume overall leadership and management responsibility for the project. The DCOP will take the lead in coordinating program development, implementation and reporting, and will work closely with the Project Leadership Team overseeing the project’s major components.
- Provide strategic and technical direction, oversight, and management of project activities in reproductive health, family planning, and health systems strengthening.
- Provide technical leadership to multi-sectoral governmental stakeholders at national level and lead the creation of an effective and transparent multi-sectoral structure to improve reproductive health outcomes.
- Supervise a team of advisors and consultants to identify performance gaps and develop and implement measurable plans for improvement.
- Provide technical assistance, mentorship and capacity building at the national, district and organizational levels to improve and scale up Reproductive Health services
- Lead a team to identify and scale up innovative models, approaches and technologies to improve service delivery outcomes.
- Collaborate with the Ministry of Health (MoH) and other governmental stakeholders to review, revise, update and develop strategies, policies, clinical guidelines, training curricula, job aides and informational materials.
- Ensure development and implementation of robust annual workplans towards successful completion of contractual obligations
- Work closely with the Chief of Party (COP) on setting project priorities and direction, and responding to requests for support from local counterparts.
- Document lessons learned and organize learning and sharing opportunities between project and external stakeholders.
- An advanced degree in public health, social sciences or a related discipline.
- At least ten years of total relevant experience designing, managing and implementing complex public health service delivery programs of similar size and scope in Uganda
- Demonstrated experience managing and supervising multi-functional teams of technical experts at national, regional, district, clinical, community-level and other sectors.
- Demonstrated expertise at a senior- level in three or more areas: 1) reproductive, health; 2) health systems strengthening; 3) leadership and management capacity building 4); pre-service or in-service education; 5) quality improvement; 6) knowledge management.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government representatives, for-profit private sector entities, local community organizations, donors and other stakeholders, particularly at the sub-national level
- Demonstrated experience developing and working within approved workplans, overseeing development of activity budgets, managing activity costs, and monitoring program spending against budget in an accurate and timely manner.
- Demonstrated diplomatic and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a complex and changing environment with all levels of stakeholders
Pathfinder International is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status. Pathfinder International does not charge candidates Recruitment or Application fees for any position, to which they may apply globally.