The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
USAID’s Integrated Community Agriculture and Nutrition (ICAN) activity will sustainably enhance the resilience of vulnerable households by increasing economic opportunities, improving nutrition with a focus on women and children, and strengthening community and local governance. The activity will work to achieve these goals in eight districts: Kisoro, Kanungu, Rukungiri, Nwoya, Gulu, Lamwo, Kotido and Kaabong.
The Knowledge Management and Communications Specialist is responsible for designing and implementing ICAN’s Knowledge Management and Communications outreach strategies, overseeing the production of ICAN reports, storage and management of Activity knowledge materials, publication of success stories, guide the publication of technical notes/briefs, and overseeing the project’s Branding and Marketing Plan.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership in the implementation of the integrated communications strategy and liaise with the home office to adapt it to changing circumstances during implementation
- Provide expertise in the development of tools and guidance to support knowledge management (KM) practices within ICAN and its partners
- Provide facilitation, content management, and KM support for ICAN
- Provide KM technical assistance to ICAN partners to improve their knowledge sharing and collaboration
- Assist in providing capacity building to ICAN team members and partners on KM best practices and methodologies
- Provide support to the project’s technical, cross-cutting, and operations teams to ensure efficient planning and implementation of communications activities, including quarterly reports, annual reports and other communications products required by the client
- Create and disseminate appropriate communication products via relevant channels. This may include traditional media, new media, on-ground and public relations. Ensure key messages are delivered to the relevant target audience in a consistent manner across all channels
- Develop success stories and technical briefs for internal and external publications. Ensure consistent and coherent corporate and editorial style across all outputs including media and audiovisual material, publications, documentation and internal materials
- Develop weekly bullets summarizing activity progress, challenges, successes, and learning
- With field office staff and home office project team, coordinate production of, format, and edit monthly, quarterly and annual reports
- Champion innovative and nimble methods to drive communications
- Other duties as required
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- The ideal candidate for the Knowledge Management and Communications Specialist postion should hold a Master’s Degree and at least 6 years of relevant professional experience
- Prior experience working on donor funded projects, preferably with USAID
- Strong knowledge management and communication skills
- Excellent in verbal and technical writing communication in English
- Strong creative and analytical skills and good management and strategic judgment
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to work closely with peers
- Ability to remain organized and focused on long-term vision and strategy
- Understanding of media planning and experience working on digital communications preferred
- Excellent Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.