Fenix International is a next-generation energy company. Our mission is to transform our customers’ quality of life through disruptive innovation in energy and financial services. To date, Fenix has sold over 400,000 Solar Home Systems in Uganda and Zambia, bringing clean, reliable power for lights, phones, radios, TV and much more to over 2 million people.
In early 2018, Fenix joined forces with ENGIE, one of the world's largest energy companies and a leader in the move to renewable, decentralised and digital energy. This has allowed Fenix to make significant commercial investments to accelerate the path to our mission, via new markets - Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Nigeria - and innovative products. Together, Fenix and ENGIE are making universal access to modern energy a reality.
Fenix International is seeking a highly motivated and entrepreneurial National Marketing Manager to play a leading role in reaching millions of customers in Uganda, extending the customer lifetime with Fenix and establishing ReadyPay as a leading consumer brand. As the most senior marketing role at the national level, the successful candidate will manage the marketing department while reporting to the Commercial Director. The marketing team will work cross-functionally with our sales, credit, customer experience, product development, operations and technical teams.
This position offers an incredible opportunity to make a direct impact on the lives of the off-grid population in Uganda with little or no access to traditional financing. The right candidate will be a strategic, creative leader and team player, with a big vision and passion for flawless execution. As National Marketing Manager, you will be based in Kampala, Uganda with regular travel to the field. You will gain a deep understanding of the ReadyPay customer and market, and lead critical projects that will transform lives and be crucial to the success of the business.
As the National Marketing Manager, your role will be to provide outstanding leadership and execution in the following areas:
Strategy & Planning:
- Understand key business priorities and create strategic marketing plans targeting different customer segments to help reach ambitious company goals.
- Continuously refine definitions of customer segments according to demographic information, media consumption patterns and existing customer behaviour.
- Conduct internal and external research that deepens understanding of customer motivation, using the insights gained to develop behaviour-changing communication materials.
- Create ambitious but achievable short and long-term marketing plans, maintaining the flexibility to change course quickly if necessary.
- Set the marketing budget and manage spending accordingly.
- Lead the creation of integrated marketing campaigns, strategic communications projects and public relations plans, ensuring consistent and engaging messaging across multiple channels.
- Oversee the production of quality communications to existing customers, ensuring we provide the best possible experience throughout the customer journey.
- Create innovative customer acquisition and retention strategies using non-traditional communication channels such as informal broadcasting, grassroots mobilisation etc.
- Lead the design and execution of marketing and communications plans that deliver superior customer engagement across all channels.
- Oversee the roll-out of marketing and public relations plans, ensuring that all activities are carried out in a timely and effective manner.
- Ensure a consistent and quality brand presence across all activities, overseeing regular brand audits and material roll-outs as materials develop.
- Manage, grow and develop a high-performing team of marketing and communications professionals.
- Build the necessary data visualisation or other tools to analyse the impact of different initiatives, preparing reports as needed for the Uganda and international marketing teams.
- Make data-driven decisions to iterate on marketing strategy and drive towards maximising return on investment for marketing spend.
- Lead collaboration with the global Fenix team and/or partners MTN and Engie where applicable.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years marketing experience.
- Leadership and project management experience, with a successful track record of building systems to implement complex projects.
- Entrepreneurial, with experience starting or contributing significantly to a new project, team, or company, managing projects from design to scale-up phase.
- Strong ability to interpret data and conduct basic analysis.
- A creative thinker with original ideas for marketing ReadyPay in Uganda.
- A natural communicator who can create excitement externally and internally around the ReadyPay brand.
- Commitment and passion for mentoring a team.
- Excellent understanding of the rural Ugandan customer and market.
- Commitment to be based in Kampala, Uganda for at least 2 years
- Outstanding written, verbal and presentation skills (English required)
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
- Passion for Fenix and our customers!