Chemonics International Inc., a US-based international development organization, seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for the anticipated USAID five-year Integrated Child and Youth Development Activity in Uganda. This activity will aim to improve youth learning outcomes, while ensuring that children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments. Specifically, this activity will address primary school retention, provide technical assistance to orphans and vulnerable children service providers, and employ high-impact local partnerships to accomplish the activity’s objectives. This position will be based in Kampala.
The COP will be a seasoned education and/or health sector professional with exceptional leadership experience, and preferably, possess a deep understanding of the Ugandan context. The COP will have demonstrated experience delivering results in complex environments at national and local levels and with a variety of public, private, and civil society stakeholders; the ability to effectively work across different cultures; and extensive experience managing diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide overall leadership and strategic direction to ensure programmatic and financial integrity of the activity;
- Serve as the primary liaison with USAID/Uganda on technical, strategic, and contractual matters;
- Lead efforts to collaborate and coordinate with other USAID/Uganda projects, other donor-funded projects, Government of Uganda institutions, and private sector and civil society stakeholders, ensuring that relevant, productive, and complementary activities are coordinated and leveraged effectively;
- Ensure quality control and overall responsiveness of technical assistance provided under the contract, including activity results and deliverables;
- Oversee activity administration, implementation, and financial management to ensure implementation aligns with budget allocations, internal Chemonics policies, and USAID regulations;
- Supervises senior technical and operational staff;
- Proactively identify issues and risks related to implementation in a timely manner, and make appropriate programmatic adjustments to meet contractual objectives and results.
- Minimum ten years of relevant technical experience in international development, preferably in education, health, and/or child development (at least eight of these years must be in a management/leadership position in programs of a similar scope and scale). At least six years’ experience in a similar development context, as Uganda, is preferred;
- Minimum of a master’s degree in international development, health, education, or other relevant field. A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with 15 years of relevant experience may be substituted for a master’s degree;
- Extensive knowledge and experience with the Office of the U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator and Health Diplomacy/PEPFAR processes, Country Operational Planning processes, PEPFAR Guidance, and PEPFAR reporting preferred;
- Ability to provide technical guidance to PEPFAR partners in assessment, development, and implementation of the Activity’s data quality initiatives;
- Thorough knowledge of the current and historic child and youth education and health services delivery sector in Uganda preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead and manage challenging projects involving a broad range of public, private, and civil society stakeholders in a multi-agency setting;
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills;
- Fluency in written and oral English required;
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted. Actual hiring is contingent on Chemonics being awarded the activity and on USAID approval.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the EU, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data. For more information, please read the EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice here: https://chemonics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/EU-Recruiting-Data-Privacy-Notice-12.2018.pdf
To learn more about Chemonics, please visit www.chemonics.com.