United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
Brief description of WFP in Uganda
WFP delivers food assistance in emergencies and work with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. WFP provides life-saving food assistance and livelihood opportunities to refugees in Uganda. In addition, WFP assists the most vulnerable people in Karamoja with food and nutrition assistance. Finally, WFP works with smallholder farmers and links them to markets.
As Uganda strives to achieve Zero Hunger by 2030 and become a middle-income country by 2040, WFP is also assessing its relevance and repositioning its role in Uganda.
ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE?
We are seeking qualified individuals for the position of Helper, SSA2 to be based in Isingiro, Rwenzori and Bunyoro. Selected candidates will be employed on Special Service Agreement
These jobs are found in Regional Bureaux (RBs), Country Offices (COs), Area Offices (AOs) and Field Offices (FOs). Job holders report to the Administration Associate or the designate. These jobs require a good physical fit to lift and handle heavy items and work in all types of weather conditions.
To support site maintenance services in providing cleaning, laundry, basic garden maintenance, porter duties and other related manual work, to ensure WFP premises are well-organised, kept in a clean & hygienic condition and are in compliance with the established standards.
1. Perform basic maintenance of outdoor/indoor environments, to keep them clean, well-organised and in a good condition.
2. Provide support in loading/offloading and moving office equipment, furniture, baggage and other items for efficient site maintenance services.
3. Support preparation and delivery of food and beverages, arrange for basic refurbishment and maintenance of kitchen area and equipment to facilitate efficient service.
4. Provide laundry services including basic maintenance of related equipment, to ensure that WFP office and guesthouse items are clean.
5. Provide efficient cleaning services including kitchens and toilets to ensure clean, hygienic and well-organised working environment.
Education: No specific requirements. Completion of secondary school education is an advantage.
Experience: One year or more of related work experience.
Knowledge & Skills: • Knowledge of basic equipment and use of cleaning materials/solutions.
• Ability to operate and maintain equipment and supplies related to work in a good working condition.
• Ability to work in all weather conditions and meet the deadlines.
• High sense of responsibility and initiative.
• Punctuality, honesty and integrity.
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
• Ability to work in a team.
Language: Intermediate knowledge (level B) of the UN language in use at the duty station and fluency (level C) in the duty station’s language, if different.
This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job