Fenix International is a next-generation energy and technology company. Our mission is to transform our customers’ quality of life through modern energy and financial services. Our flagship product, Fenix Power, is a modular, lease-to-own solar home system financed through affordable installments from just $0.11 per day. We use real-time transaction data to create a next-generation credit score to finance power upgrades and other life-changing loans, unlocking modern financial services for our customers. To date, Fenix has sold over 500,000 Solar Home Systems in Uganda, Zambia, Cote d'Ivoire, Benin, Nigeria and Mozambique, bringing clean, reliable power for lights, phones, radios, TV and much more to over 2,500,000 people.
In early 2018, Fenix joined forces with ENGIE, one of the world's largest energy companies and a leader in the move to renewable, decentralised and digital energy. This has allowed Fenix to make significant commercial investments to accelerate the path to our mission, via new markets and innovative products. Together, Fenix and ENGIE are making universal access to modern energy a reality.
We’re looking for a self-driven, entrepreneurial individual with strong project management experience to help build and grow our operations in markets across Africa.
At Fenix, one of our core values is to think big and make things happen. As a Market Development Manager, you will embody this value. Working alongside the Country Lead, your focus will be PMing our country launch and scale operations by 1) serving as a strategic partner for the country leadership team in key decisions (e.g., those that require approval by our executive team), 2) ensuring soft launch operations meet key performance indicators across major functions, and 3) supporting the transition to commercial launch. In essence, the Market Development Manager will act as the internal champion for the market and their leadership, supporting their agenda among global teams and senior management. This role reports to our Global Team and also works with a small team of other Market Development Managers, with the expectation that Market Development Managers will share best practices across markets. The position's location is flexible - could be based in any market where Fenix is active.
Project Management and Reporting
- Provide overall project management support to Country management teams to keep them focused on high priority tasks, manage multiple, competing priorities, keep the country on track as operations scale, and ensure key performance indicators are met
- Develop and update regular reports to keep management informed on market findings, launch progress, KPI progress, and budget-to-actual; point out successes as well as high risk/challenge areas for team to focus on so that they can balance long-term and short-term goals
- Actively participate in all country management team meetings, as well as meetings between Country Teams and the Global Team; participation could also include assisting with scheduling, ensuring agendas have been developed, sending out next steps following meetings, and ensuring key activities have been completed
- Ensure policies, procedures, and key documents remain updated for the country and uploaded into Fenix’s central information sharing database
- Serve as primary liaison between strategic partners and Global team to ensure work plan alignment and achievement of business goals
- Support country teams in developing proposals through established channels/frameworks (e.g. product pricing committee)
Strategic Partner to Support Market Launch and Scale
- Coordinate with Country Lead and Global team to ensure team alignment on entry strategy and launch milestones
- Serve as chief-of-staff resource and strategic thought partner to country leadership team; guide strategic thinking and build structure around key decision-making (e.g., prepare materials and analysis required to make key country decisions)
- Support country teams to articulate, submit and gain approval for important decisions that require support of senior management at the global level
- QA operations to ensure country soft launch meets Global expectations and requirements
Knowledge Management and Additional Responsibilities
- Collaborate with other Market Development Managers to share and document best practices on a regular basis
- Host quarterly new market sessions with Country Teams to share practices across the company
- Update Country toolkits/templates, and manage internal database of country-specific documents/tools
- As needed, conduct new market research to inform country expansion roadmap for Fenix
Required Skills & Experience
- Outstanding bi-lingual (English and French) written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Leadership & project management experience: we are looking for entrepreneurial candidates who have started or contributed significantly to scaling a company or commercial project.
- At least 3 - 5 years experience living or working in Africa
- Exceptional analytical skills and ability to synthesize analysis into practical strategy recommendations
- Comfort and experience with cultivating strong relationships with external stakeholders, whether in a board room or a rural off-grid community
- Excellent judgement and ability to work independently with little supervision
- Highly motivated by customer happiness and great team culture
- Three years’ minimum work experience in a relevant role, particularly B2C
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; Master’s degree preferred
Highly Desired Skills & Experience
- Experience living or working in a rural economy
- Experience utilizing analytical techniques to drive data driven decisions
- Financial modeling skills
- Ability to read, interpret and take relevant and nimble action on a P&L and financial statements
Please submit your resume and cover letter through the job posting at www.fenixintl.com/careers/.
In your cover letter, please be sure to highlight the following:
- Why you are interested in Fenix International, and
- What excites you about this particular role.
Fenix offers a competitive salary and a fun, fast-paced and high-growth work environment. We recognize the value of diversity in our workforce, and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all candidates who choose to apply, however, only those selected for a further interview will be contacted.