Do you want your work to matter? Do you want to use your skills to make a difference, not just a living? Do you want to improve millions of lives, including your own?
Living Goods works to reinvent how we improve the lives of the under-served. We think big but operate lean and nimble. We believe community health is critical to deliver Universal Health Coverage and that community health workers (CHWs) are essential, because they bring health services to people’s doorsteps. But to truly make an impact, CHWs need to be digitally empowered, equipped with treatments, effectively supervised, and compensated.
We also help governments transform their community health systems and workforces. Using the disruptive power of mHealth, we’ve transformed ability of more than 7,000 community health workers to have a lifesaving impact across Africa. These community health workers educate, assess, treat and refer for common illnesses like pneumonia, diarrhea, and malaria that affect children under 5, they help ensure children get immunized on time, and they support women through their pregnancies and with family planning. They also provide primary healthcare to 6 million people at a fraction of the cost of doctors and nurses.
The secret to our success is a winning team. One that enables people to bring their ideas and creativity to work every day. If you work well in a dynamic collaborative culture, set high standards, meet challenges with determination and a have a sense of humor, come work for Living Goods!
Living Goods is growing! We’ve grown 30 percent every year for the past 5 years. We now have more than 450 Living Goods staff, 97 percent of whom are based in East Africa.
At Living Goods, you will have the chance to apply your ideas and creativity at work every day. If you work well in a dynamic collaborative culture, set high standards, and meet challenges with determination and a sense of humor, you’ll thrive here at Living Goods
Purpose of the role
The Finance Officer is responsible for all aspects of routine financial operations ranging from receipt of documentations submitted by various internal & external customers for financial clearance, booking keeping – capture & posting of all financial transactions into the Organization’s operational accounting system, development of system vouchers for verified requisitions, submission of these for payment processing, proper filing of financial documents, petty cash handling, monitoring & reconciliations, modular reconciliations & reporting, and support during Institutional Audits.
This role ensures day to day efficient financial processes & operations and as such requires the Officer to be very proficient and a multitasker; with high levels of integrity, confidentiality, good interpersonal skills & able to pay attention to detail. This is an operational level role with no supervision requirements: directly reporting into the Financial Accounting Manager.
What You’ll Do:
- SYSTEMS TRANSACTIONS CAPTURE & POSTING / BOOKKEEPING
- Receive requisitions from both internal & external organizational customers within the set departmental timelines: crosschecking them for completeness before acceptance
- Correctly input all reviewed transactions (requisitions) into the accounting system; posting them to appropriate GL account codes and all other system set financial dimensions
- Draw system payment vouchers for submitted requisitions, with sufficient support documentation; submitting these for checks & approval to the Department Head within set timelines
- Ensure all drawn vouchers are system sequentially numbered and according to the selected payment mode
- ENSURE COMPLIANCE & ACCOUNTABILITY FOR ORGANISATIONAL RESOURCES
- Actively manage staff receivable and advances in the accounting system, ensuring timely capture of all submitted accountabilities. Share month-end reports on outstanding staff receivables, advances, and any other reported cash/credit balances to ensure timely clearance of outstanding balances
- Ensure Company tax compliance: that all taxes are withheld, filed & payments timely remitted; drawing monthly Withholding Tax (WHT) and VAT schedules
- Perform revenue assurance function to ensure all sales proceeds are appropriately banked; sharing variance reports periodically
- Periodically maintain a withholding tax certificates folder; and share these with vendors on request
- Be part of the liaison between the company suppliers, and other departments; Handling the primary Internal finance memos and general communications to all staff e.g. of payments made, financial procedures, audit schedules & general compliance reminders
- Ensure that all financial controls associated with the role are fully implemented and functioning effectively
- ASSETS / CASH HANDLING & MONITORING
- Manage HQ petty cash; drawing petty cash vouchers, presenting them for approval and issuing out payments. Maintaining a running petty cash replenishment schedule and attending to petty cash spot checks
- Manage & review submitted Branch Petty Cash replenishments: maintaining a periodic system reconciliation for each Branch
- Assist the Senior Financial Accountant in Inventory system management & reconciliation of system stock with physical counts as per submitted stock count sheets; timely attending to store managers’ inquiries and system updates at month end Ensure regular fixed assets register maintenance, following through on asset engraving, asset movements and distribution, serial number recording, asset codes development & monthly depreciation schedules drawing
- FINANCIAL DOCUMENTATION PREPARATION & STORAGE
- Maintain a proper & clear filing system for all financial & other official documents received: maintaining clear sections for each in the availed cabinet e.g. Audit documents, Tax documents, Organization Registration Documents, Legal Documents, etc. Note that scanned soft copies of these should also be maintained too
- Properly file paid vouchers after attaching respective accountabilities and stamping “paid” & “posted” on each page of each complete document. All files must be well labeled with the sequential voucher numbers indicated for easy document retrial. These should also be filed per payment mode
- Maintain file with current and complete Vendor and Customer information including Registered names, bank information, contact persons and addresses – inclusive here is staff information (names, location, contacts, TIN, NSSF number, bank details, joining & exiting dates, etc); ensuring quarterly reviews and updates
- MODULAR RECONCILIATIONS & AUDIT SUPPORT
- Participate in end month bank/cash reconciliations; taking responsibility of especially Mobile Money & Petty Cash accounts reconciliations
- Assist in the preparation for annual audits and special audits as required. For the external annual audits, a docket for your responsibility areas will be issued to you for reference – where you will be expected to periodically monitor & reconcile assigned GL Accounts listings to the periodic ending GL account balances
- Do monthly system reconciliation of both HQ & Branch Petty cash; ensuring end period cash balances match with physical cash in the safe
- MODULAR REPORT EXTRACTIONS
- First contact by internal customers (staff) for Receivables’ explanation, or any other reported variance
- Extract & share vendors report / statements indicating periodic engagements; using these to clear any sent through queries, but also ensuring timely clearance of payables. Wherever required, these should be used to reconcile with vendors’ received statements
- Periodically pull out assigned modular reports; reviewing these and working through listings that rightly support the periodic ending GL account balances
Note that this role is left to the discrete of the Financial Accounting Manager to assign between the team the Receivables & Payables’ responsibilities. And in addition to the above spelt out responsibilities, any other duties can be assigned by either the Financial Accounting Manager or Head of the department from time to time.
Who You Are:
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Accounting, Statistics and Any related degree. Experience of at least 3 years in a similar role in a Finance department is required.
Living Goods is an equal opportunity employer and will consider every qualified applicant for employment. Living Goods does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
Our current job openings are displayed on our website, where you can search for open positions and apply directly. Living Goods does not offer any positions without an interview and never asks candidates for money. If you are asked for money, we strongly recommend that you do not respond and do not send money or personal information. If offered a role at Living Goods, we’ll request consent to complete a background check, which is part of our hiring process.