Health Financing Officer - (2001233)
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Contract duration: 2 years
Job Posting: Mar 12, 2020, 3:03:31 PM
Closing Date: Apr 2, 2020, 12:59:00 AM
Primary Location: Uganda-Kampala
Organization: AF_UGA Uganda
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device's system settings.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The primary objective of the Health Systems and Services Cluster is to strengthen health systems based on Primary Health Care, supporting Universal Health Coverage. Its work encompasses the following areas: strengthening of health systems governance for social protection in health; strengthening of regulatory frameworks and financial protection for progressive realization of the right to health; organizing people-centered, integrated health service delivery; promoting access to and rational use of quality, safe, and effective health technologies; strengthening national health research systems, and promoting the integration of scientific knowledge into health care, health policies, and technical cooperation; and developing human resources for health.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The incumbent will be assigned the following duties:1. Provide technical support to the Ministry of Health to finalize and implement the Health Financing Strategy within the context of the UHC Roadmap development and roll-out;2. Provide technical support to Ministry of Health in the review and analysis of public expenditure, fiscal space for health activities and the development of national health accounts;3. Support the Ministry of Health in consolidating the legal instruments required for the implementation of the Health Financing Strategy;4. Validate, analyze and report health financing data as it relates to the roll-out of UHC, in collaboration with the Ministry of Health;5. Advise and collaborate on the technical cooperation programs in the areas of health care financing as one of the pillars for the attainment of Universal Health Coverage;6. Identify means to raise revenue for health at national and county governments, in an equitable manner, in collaboration with Ministry of Health and Finance; 7. Facilitate the review, and reform of health financing institutions ensuring they are effective in management of health revenues;8. Guide the appropriate health care service purchasing arrangements in line with the defined benefit packages for health in Uganda;9. Document emerging best practices in revenue raising, management and purchasing seen at national and county governments;10. Develop social protection systems and other institutional and nongovernmental sectors, in support of the Ministry of Health;11. Support the national and county governments in developing tools and capacity building for costing of sector strategic plans;12. Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: First university degree in health, social or management sciences, Health Economics, Health Policy and Management, or Public Health with a health financing focus.
Desirable: Masters in the above areas.
Essential: At least five (5) years of experience in health sector or areas related to health care financing, systems development, health services delivery and developing strategies to overcome barriers to accessing health care services
Desirable: Working experience in related areas with WHO, other UN agencies or other recognized national organizations
--> Understanding of health financing policy, health financing strategies development, planning, capacity-building, initiatives implementation.--> Knowledge in contracting and provider mechanism, development and management of public-private partnerships, business partnerships and partnerships between donors a plus.--> Proven ability to promote and enhance relationships between private sector actors and government stakeholders.--> Knowledge in development of health care financing strategies, national health accounts, household expenditure surveys.--> Excellent written and oral communication skills.--> Strong management skills and ability to work independently and on teams.
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Knowing and managing yourself
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at UGX 176,233,000 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This is a National Professional Officer position. Therefore, only applications from nationals of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted. Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered.