Requisition ID: req7497
Job Title: Human Resource Compliance Manager - roving
Sector: Human Resources
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kampala, Uganda
The Roving HR Compliance Manager is responsible for ensuring that the day-to-day HR functions are performed to a high standard and in accordance with IRC policies, procedures and HR best practices. Provide advice and guidance to Field Managers/Coordinators and staff across the country program on HR policies and procedures.
Under the supervision of the HR Coordinator, the Roving HR Compliance Manager will:
- Serve as the HR Compliance Specialist for human resources services within the field offices;
- In collaboration with Field HR focal points, ensure compliance with the IRC’s Global Human Resources Operating Policies and Procedures.
- Provide advice and support to Field HR teams, Field Managers/Coordinator and program managers on HR related matters, including but not limited to, recruitment, orientation, career development, performance management and separation
- Serve as a mentor and capacity building advisor for HR field staff to ensure sustainability and career growth.
- Offer overall HR support to Kampala and field locations whenever there is a gap.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain a thorough knowledge and understanding of the National Staff policies and ensuring compliance and consistent application across the country program.
- Provide timely advice and briefings to staff on HR policy and new policy developments, ensuring correct and consistent application through training, monitoring and appropriate follow up action.
- Periodically assist managers in writing or modifying job descriptions in accordance with program needs.
- Advise on disciplinary related matters in accordance with established labor law and IRC disciplinary policies and procedures.
- In the absence of a field HR team member, support hiring managers in recruitment process as outlined in IRC Recruitment policies and procedures; provide support in interviews and ensuring proper documentation is consolidated and shared with Kampala office.
- Ensure transparent recruitment processes and all sectors comply with recruitment related policies and procedures including and not limited to advertisement of positions, consistent documentation of the recruitment process (interviews notes, reference check, ATC check, etc).
- Coordinate and facilitate the integration/transition processes to assure new and transferred staff receive an effective onboarding.
- Ensure IRC Performance Management Program is effectively implemented by providing regular trainings on performance management, objectives setting, monitoring and coaching, performance review process, etc.
- Conduct file audit and work with field HR team in the maintenance of up to date files for all staff in the field and ensure that personal document for new and existing staff are maintained confidentially in a lockable cabinet and where possible sent to Kampala.
- Ensure a consistent filing system is in place and confidentiality of the HR information is guaranteed and orderly archiving of official HR documents.
- Ensure staff files are updated on a real time basis, with all required key documents and ensure they are completed and up-to-date through periodic file audits.
- Ensure the Tracking of timesheets is updated and consistently maintained.
- Ensure HR databases are regularly updated (staff list, leave tracking, contract tracking, etc.)
- Ensures that all the exit processes are in compliance with the IRC's policy and local legislation.
- Coordinate and facilitate employee exit process and archive all required documents.
- Carry a quarterly HR audits on all record keeping and documentation of processes.
- Monitor and provide support with disciplinary cases and investigations.
- Facilitate employee relations resolution based on local laws and IRC standards;
- Facilitate relationships between labour/social services and IRC staff. Manage employee relations and discipline in accordance with the IRC's policy and local law
- Maintain a fortnightly contact with HR Coordinator over HR/Admin issues arising in any of the field locations.
Policy Compliance – IRC Way
- Conduct quarterly IRC Way refresher trainings.
- Oversee the planning and rolling out training of and adherence to IRC Way, in coordination with the IRC Way Ambassadors in field locations
HR Skills Development
- Monitor and ensure that HR duties of all Field HR focal points are performed satisfactorily.
- Liaise and provide HR technical support and guidance to the HR Field Focal Points.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting from the field offices.
- In collaboration with Field HR teams, ensure all termination documentation is completed before being forwarded to HR Coordinator for review.
- In coordination with field HR teams, develop and maintain quarterly reports to ascertain the period of time it takes to finalize terminal benefits.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned (of a similar nature or related and in the interest of the organization)
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management or Industrial and Organizational Psychology or equivalent
- Professional HR certification or training in relevant fields is highly desirable
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field will be an added advantage
- A least 5 years of Employee Relations/Compliance/Human Resources experience at mid-senior management, in similar role.
- Substantive experience working in HR Compliance with a strong analytical and operational background.
- Previous experience working with an international NGO in a cross-cultural setting, in HR sector.
- Previous team leader experience and knowledge of team dynamics desirable.
- Strong HR background and experience.
- Systematic, good administrative skills
- Remains productive when under pressure.
- Excellent leadership and coaching skills
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Experience influencing and advising on a wide range of compliance issues
- Demonstrated ability to multitask
- Ability to establish strong cross-functional relationships at all levels of an organization
- Ability to listen, but also to persuasively convey opinions and recommendations
- Deep understanding of Uganda employment laws & regulations
- Required to be discreet and maintain confidentiality
- Willingness to travel frequently to field offices Bidibidi, Imvepi, Lamwo, Moroto, Kyaka, etc,
Security: Kampala is Security Level 2 - yellow.
- This position is open only to Ugandan nationals.
- Deadline for receiving applications is 23rd December 2019.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.