The Senior Advisor - Health Information Systems will work as part of the Strategic Information (SI) team at MSH. S/he will collaborate with MSH project leadership and home office staff to define and build the specifications in in DHIS2 and other information management systems. S/he will contribute to the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems by ensuring that MSH’s database is properly configured, managed, and accessible to teams globally and meets the strategic needs of each project. In addition, s/he will provide technical assistance to support information systems design and development for MSH’s project beneficiaries in public and private sectors. The HIS Specialist will participate and often lead the development and maintenance of MSH’s DHIS2-based database, DREAM@MSH, and all its project instances. S/he will represent MSH as a thought leader in the DHIS2 community and advise on its strategic application to meet internal clients’ objectives.
DREAM@MSH (MSH-DHIS2) Global Development and Management (30%)
- Collaborate with project leadership to determine how to configure DREAM@MSH to meet project’s strategic needs.
- Manage DREAM@MSH on a day-to-day basis as the primary system administrator.
- Develop new features for organization wide metrics and initiatives (e.g. customized dashboards and integration with CostPoint, WorkDay and other corporate systems).
- Troubleshoot DREAM@MSH issues with support from BAO Manager.
- Work with the Data and Digital health (DDH) team on improving DREAM@MSH’s interoperability.
- Oversee the technical quality of DHIS2 work supported by local staff supporting the platform across all MSH projects.
- Represent MSH as an active thought leader in the global DHIS2 community by posting MSH experience in the DHIS2 list serve, contributing code to GITHUB, and presenting MSH DHIS2 experience in virtual and in-person conferences.
DREAM@MSH (MSH-DHIS2) Project Instances Development and Maintenance (20%)
- Provide service to MSH field projects in DREAM@MSH by supporting project instance configuration and maintenance through life of project.
- Develop new features requested for field projects(e.g. dashboards and custom forms).
Technical assistance for DHIS2 and other Information systems (15%)
- Help to define MSH’s strategic orientations related to the use of DHIS2 in projects and with our global external clients.
- Provide technical assistance to MSH projects and beneficiaries in the design and development of information systems based on the DHIS2
- Support the development of interoperability profiles between DHIS2 and other information systems.
DHIS2 Capacity Building (15%)
- Design and conduct DHIS2 trainings for MSH staff in both home and field offices.
- Build upon current DHIS2 learning materials produced for staff.
- Manage design of eLearning course materials related to DHIS2 and data analytics and their subsequent roll-out
Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Research (MEL) (10%)
- Support EPI team by contributing to MEL services (e.g. setting up metrics, running complex analyses).
- A Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in a relevant field, such as biostatistics, health statistics, or information systems, or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 7 years (with a Bachelor’s) or 5 years (with a Master’s) of directly relevant experience with a focus on MEL for international development programs.
- Demonstrated experience with current approaches and tools for information management systems, including the use of data to inform decision-making, communication, and other strategic initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience using and managing large databases.
- 2 to 3 years of experience in managing health information management systems built on DHIS2.
- In-country experiences working on DHIS2 instances in Low & Middle Income Countries is an asset.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong English-language scientific and technical writing and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with culturally diverse staff, clients, and consultants.
- Advanced expertise in DHIS2 (system administrator level).
- Knowledge of appropriate data visualization software for creating tables, graphs, and charts.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation principles and methods.
- Attention to detail. Demonstrated organization and time management skills.
- Fluency in French.
- Knowledge and proven experience in the use of statistical software packages such as R for data analysis and modelling.
- Demonstrated ability in assessing priorities and managing various activities and stakeholders in a time-sensitive environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
MSH is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, religion, creed, citizenship, national origin, age, veteran status, or disability unrelated to job requirements. MSH will take affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed and that employees are treated without regard to their race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran and disability status. In compliance with U.S. Department of Labor Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act, and Section 4212 of the Vietnam Era Readjustment Assistance Act, MSH has developed and maintains an affirmative action program and plan.