Requisition ID: req11819
Job Title: Regional Justice and Peace Manager
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Bidibidi, Uganda
1. Organization Description
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education and power. Given the disparity faced by women and girls, IRC seeks to narrow gender inequalities and further ensure social inclusion of all vulnerable groups in programmes, processes and actions affecting their lives. Currently, the IRC’s Protection and Rule of Law team works to promote the human rights, safety and protection, and access to justice for refugees and asylum seekers in Yumbe, Lamwo, Kyegegwa and greater Kampala utilising rule of law and multilevel governance approaches.
2. Job Overview
IRC Uganda is currently looking for a Regional Justice and Peace Manager to lead and manage a complex and multi-year EU-funded program “Strengthening Integrated Systems to Accelerate Access to Gender, Child and Youth Justice” with the goal of promoting peaceful and safe co-existence under the rule of law in Yumbe and Lamwo districts. The ideal candidate has excellent technical capacity in systems strengthening at sub-national level, with substantive team leadership experience in promoting access to justice, strengthening both formal and informal justice sectors, and youth peacebuilding. S/he has practical experience working in a protracted displacement context with strong diplomacy, partnership building, coordination and networking skills. S/he is solutions oriented and pragmatic with the capacity to solve problems efficiently and support field teams to successfully carry out programmatic activities. S/he will liaise with key government, UN, INGO and interagency counterparts and contribute to innovative systems strengthening approaches in line with the Global Compact on Refugees, the Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework and localized SDGs in Uganda.
The Regional Justice and Peace Manager reports to the Senior National PRoL Manager and is based in Yumbe, with significant field travel to Lamwo to provide guidance, monitoring and staff capacity building. This position supervises two Senior Justice and Peace Officers based in Yumbe and Lamwo and an Information, Monitoring and Reporting Officer.
- Provide overall leadership and oversight of the technical aspects of the implementation and coordination of the program.
- Support Senior Justice and Peace Officers and field teams in the implementation and monitoring of work plans ensuring that activities reflect donor and other commitments.
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation systems are effectively designed and integrated into all stages of the project; that output and impact data are captured and that data is used to optimize program quality.
- Ensure that all interventions are fully aligned to national frameworks and systems, as well as broader policy developments relevant to legal aid.
- Engage in joint planning and implementation with strategic partners to deliver synchronized and integrated actions for greater impact.
- Participate in grant opening, midterm review and closing meetings for the program
- Contribute to monthly PRoL field team meetings which review Budget vs. Actual expenditures, log frame deliverables and monitor targeted cash support.
- Review all reports prepared by the field staff and provide appropriate feedback to the concerned staff, and ensure that reports are written and submitted to concerned bodies in a timely manner.
- Provide technical guidance, on the job mentoring and coaching for Senior Justice and Peace Officers.
- Ensure ongoing training and targeted capacity building of field staff. This includes staff training in both technical areas and program management areas such as reporting, budgeting, monitoring, evaluation, and supervision.
- Support Field Coordinators/Managers to ensure ongoing capacity development.
- Provide continuous support to and ensure targeted capacity building of staff.
- Review performance of Senior Justice and Peace Officers and the Information, Monitoring and Reporting Officer.
New Business Development
- Contribute to design and development of concept notes and proposals relevant to access to justice, legal empowerment, conflict prevention and peacebuilding.
- Ensure all designed protection projects align with IRC theories of change and that outcomes are evidence-driven and evidence-generated.
- Coordinate and participate in the development of budgets for program proposals in conjunction with the grants and finance departments.
- In coordination with the MEAL coordinator, track progress in accordance with proposal log frames and indicators that optimize program quality.
- Identify opportunities to strengthen partnerships and strategic collaboration.
Representation, coordination and advocacy
- Participate in cross-departmental collaboration and coordination with other PRoL teams, economic recovery and development, health and women’s protection and empowerment (WPE) colleagues to ensure coherence and leverage synergies.
- Cultivate robust and productive partnerships with key JLOS actors; relevant UN/INGO actors and other sub-national government actors.
- Represent the IRC in inter-agency coordination and other external meetings on issues pertaining to access to justice, conflict prevention and peacebuilding.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
Position reports to: Senior National PRoL Manager
Direct reporting: Senior Justice and Peace Officers — Yumbe and Lamwo
Other internal contacts: PRoL National and Field Teams, Field Coordinators (Yumbe and Lamwo) , Finance Officers, MEAL Officers, Grants Team and other Technical Field Teams
Standards of Professional Conduct:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality & Equal Opportunity
We are committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer generous benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave,
gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances. We welcome and strongly encourage qualified female professionals to apply.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
This position is contingent upon contract award.
Deadline for receiving applications is January 19th,2021
- University degree in international law, human rights law, criminal justice, international relations, social sciences, or other related field;
- At least four years of strategic, advisory and team leadership experience in the access to justice, legal empowerment or rule of law sector, preferably in displacement contexts
- Previous experience managing legal aid, informal justice or peace building programmes in both the humanitarian and development contexts preferred;
- Previous experience working in both the formal and informal justice sectors, including with paralegal networks preferred;
- Clear understanding of legal pluralism and the role of the law and justice in protection, conflict prevention, peacebuilding and development;
- Proven record of programme management, including financial monitoring and sub-grants administration;
- Previous experience managing programmes supported by EU or other bilateral and multilateral partners preferred;
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision, capacity building, project design and budget management;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with excellent analysis and writing skills;
- Excellent analytical, writing skills and fluency in English;
- Strong team, partnership and people leadership, management, organizational, development and change management skills;
- Experience in working with and coordinating with the UN, donors, INGOs and other stakeholders;
- Ability to work independently and with diverse and multi-disciplinary teams
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure effectively and productively; and
- Additional qualities: ability to multi-task, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise, flexibility, adaptability to transitions.
National Candidates: We strongly encourage national candidates to apply for this position. The IRC strives to attract, motivate and retain qualified national staff in our programs
Gender Equality & Equal Opportunity
We are committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer generous benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances. We welcome and strongly encourage qualified female professionals to apply.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
This position is contingent upon contract award.
Jobs in Uganda, NGO Jobs in Uganda, International Law Jobs in Uganda, Criminal Justice Jobs in Uganda, Human Rights Law Jobs in Uganda, International Relations Jobs in Uganda