Salary Scale: UWRSA Level 2
Responsible to: Managing Director
Responsible for: Legal Officer
Purpose of the Job
To provide strategic and technical guidance to the Authority on Legal matters, perform the
functions of a Board Secretary and Registrar to the Central Registry.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Arrange meetings of the Board of Directors, giving clear notices of meeting times and places.
- Coordinate the affairs of the Board, and provide the Authority with legal counsel, guidance and representation.
- Take minutes of the meetings of the Board of Directors;
- Keep records of the decisions and other policy records of the
- Board of Directors;
- Prepare reports and minutes for the Board of Directors;
- Prepare and update the Board Charter;
- Coordinate Board evaluation;
- Handle all formal communication between the Managing Director and the Board of Directors.
- Lead in legal matters in accordance with new laws, manage the performance and development of staff in the department, in line with the goals, objectives, policies and regulations of the Authority.
- Manage and monitor the progress of all legal proceedings including litigation and alternative dispute resolution by providing Legal interpretation of laws and other statutory instruments
- Provide legal advice on drafting contracts and other documents of the Authority, reviews the contracts between the Authority and suppliers/service providers to ensure compliance with the national and international laws.
- Ensure that the Authority operates in compliance with the laws, regulations, policies and guidelines governing and enforce compliance.
- Represent the Authority in courts of law and effectively defend the interests of the Authority.
- Offer secretariat support and legal counsel to the Authority Disciplinary Committee and the Staff Tribunal.
- Perform functions of a Registrar of the Central Registry of the Authority.
PERSON SPECIFICATIONS Qualifications
- Should have a Bachelor degree in Law, Public Administration and Management, Economics or any other applicable qualifications
- Should have a Master’s Degree in any of the above fields from a recognized institution of higher Learning.
- Should have practicing certificate in legal practice
Applicants should have a minimum of ten (10) years relevant working experience, three (3) years of which should have been served at a Principal level in Government or equivalent level of experience from a reputable organization.
He/She should be an Enrolled Advocate for at least five years.
1) Knowledge on the laws of Uganda and other relevant International laws
2) Must have good arbitration/mediation skills
3) Have experience and knowledge on Public Service Standing Orders,
4) Ability to represent the Authority in any legal matters at all times,
5) A good interpersonal and communication skills
6) Demonstrated computer knowledge.
a) High level of professionalism, ethics and integrity
b) Maintain high level of confidentiality
d) Communicating effectively
e) Judgment, decision making and problem solving
How to apply
Send application to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org