PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
PATH is implementing a 3-year global project funded by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation project called “Advocacy and Public Policy (APP)”. The project in Uganda aims to influence policies and budgets for effective and efficient delivery of services for Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health, Immunization and Primary Health Care (PHC) in general.
In implementing its 2021 workplan and looking towards the future, PATH is planning a series of high-level advocacy events and communication activities running for the entire calendar year January to December 2021.
PATH would like to hire a Temporary Program Officer to join its dedicated team under the APP project with an aim supporting the team in Uganda to effectively execute its mandate. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to work and collaborate with teams in the country and across the regions. The Temporary Program Officer will be involved in day-to-day implementation of advocacy and communication activities. The officer should possess functional skills in policy advocacy, communication and general program implementation.
Specific roles of the program officer;
- Support in conceptualization and mobilization for PATH led/supported advocacy engagements
- Maintain regular contact with CSO partners who belong to specific advocacy causes such as RMNCAH, PHC and Immunization including sharing of regular updates with them.
- Support follow up on key advocacy asks and requests to and/or from government
- Support tracking and maintenance of an events calendar for activities planned at a country level on a weekly basis
- Generate reports from in-person and virtual advocacy meetings. This includes maintaining an organized database/archive of program reports and other resource documents
- Increase PATH’s visibility in social media in Uganda. This includes real time capturing and highlighting of key moments and statements made by champions and other key decision makers on priority advocacy issues
- Support proof-reading of documents before they are published in different media and other platforms
- Assist in communication-related assignments including strategic display of brand materials at events, photography, generating communication tools including event-specific promotional/visibility materials.
- Support the program team in verification of telephone numbers through which participants at PATH-led events are facilitated including preparing supportive paperwork to finance.
- Review print media editions on a regular basis to identify and maintain a database of news stories and feature articles that are aligned to the project’s core advocacy areas and can inform strategic advocacy actions
- Work closely with the entire country program team to share knowledge and learnings from APP project.
- A Bachelor’s degree in public health, Mass communication, Social sciences, Development studies or related field
- Good communication skills. Fluency in English, written and oral required.
- Must be social media savvy but well oriented to using it for productive assignments
- Demonstrable exceptional energy to work and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Good knowledge of how to use computers and basic MS suite such as word, outlook, PowerPoint and Excel. Willingness to learn new software
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a diverse team
- Ability to maintain a calm and professional attitude under pressure or constantly shifting priorities
- Demonstrable willingness and zeal to learn and adapt quickly
Candidates must have legal authorization to work in Uganda.
PATH is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is valued.
PATH is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. PATH does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
*PATH has become aware of scams involving false job offers.*
- PATH will never ask for a fee during any stage of the recruitment process.
- All active jobs are advertised directly on our career's page.
- Official PATH emails will always arrive from an @path.org or @silkroad.com address.